Exercise Science Major
As an exercise science professional, you'll design and implement effective health programs for individuals of all ages and fitness levels. Start your journey toward a meaningful career with us.
What You'll Study
The Exercise Science program prepares you for several types of health and fitness specialist certifications through the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA).
It's a career that will take you through designing safe and effective exercise prescriptions and conducting individual exercise programs, fitness testing and health education. You'll find opportunities in settings like public and private fitness clubs, clinical health and rehabilitation programs, sports-specific conditioning facilities and corporate wellness programs. In addition, the major serves as a strong background for pursuing an advanced degree in exercise science, physical therapy, occupational therapy or medicine.
Through your coursework, you'll gain extensive experience conducting health and fitness assessments and designing safe and effective exercise prescriptions, enabling you to:
- Perform fitness evaluations for both healthy and clinical populations,
- Teach fitness skills and lead group exercise,
- Develop individually tailored exercise prescriptions, and
- Display professional knowledge and skills during your required internship.
Internships and Jobs
OUR STUDENTS HAVE INTERNED AT:
- The White House
- Cleveland Clinic
- Ohio State University Department of Athletics
- Institute of Human Performance
- Pride of Hawaii cruise ship
OUR GRADUATES WORK FOR:
- Akron Children's Hospital
- Emory University
- Building Blocks Therapy
- YSU Strength and Conditioning Department
- Honda Motor Company
- Turner Fitness Club at CNN Headquarters
- The PGA of America
One More Thing
Alexandria Orosz, Class of 2017
The Exercise Science professors are amazing, and they really do care about you. Their passion for the subject shines through and makes you excited to enter this amazing field!"