Note: Students receiving graduate assistantships or graduate assistant/internships are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week engaged in University employment.
Appointments to graduate assistantships or graduate assistant/internships are made by the Dean of Graduate Studies upon recommendation of the department concerned. No award is made until the student has been admitted to the College of Graduate Studies. First-year international graduate students with superior credentials and/or prior academic study in the United States may apply for graduate assistantships. Graduate assistant/internships are usually supported by an external agency through a contractual arrangement with the University or by a departmental budget within the university. It is the responsibility of the applicant to insure that recommendations from three people who know the applicant well enough to evaluate their qualifications (including at least one faculty member) are made on the forms provided and sent directly to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Additional information can be found in Graduate Assistantship and Graduate Assistant/Internship Policies.
- Fill out the Graduate Assistantship Form* for applying for a Graduate Assistantship or Internship.
- Go to Letter of Recommendation* for recommendation forms.
- Employment Forms Package* — Please download the forms if unable to view in the browser and fill all the forms as mentioned.
- Handbook for Graduate Assistants*
- Graduate Assistant Appointment Form Application - instructions**
- Note: Students applying for assistantships, Please see this this list of forms* for list of acceptable documents for applying assistantships.
FOR FACULTY HIRING GRADUATE ASSISTANTS:
- Graduate Assistant Appointment Form Application – instructions**
- Go to Graduate Assistant Appointment form* (The same form is used for new, renewal and changes for GAs)
Please note: Students receiving Graduate Assistantships will be limited to working no more than 20 hours/week. Other employment on the YSU Campus requires approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies. No students are permitted to work more than 25 hours/week.
Cushwa/Commercial Shearing Graduate Fellowship:
The Cushwa Fellowship is available to STEM students only. The Cushwa family, in conjunction with the YSU Foundation, established the Charles B. Cushwa, Jr./Commercial Shearing Inc. Graduate Student Scholarship/Fellowship Fund in 2003 to provide students the opportunity to pursue advanced degrees, acquire career experience, and offset some of the financial challenges of continuing their education. In addition, the community benefits from these scholars’ interactions with local businesses that bring the resources of the University into the local economy.
Please be sure to contact your graduate program director if you are interested in the Cushwa Fellowship. If interested, please complete the application*.
For PhD in Materials Science & Engineering Students:
Appointments to doctoral fellowships are made by the Dean of Graduate Studies upon recommendation of the program. No award may be committed to or made until the student has been admitted to the College of Graduate Studies.
If you are interested in applying for a PhD fellowship, fill and submit Doctoral Fellowship Application form*.
Please return your application to the College of Graduate Studies, located in Coffelt Hall. If at any time you have questions or concerns with regard to the graduate assistantship or fellowship programs, please call us at 330-941-3091, or visit us in Coffelt Hall.
For Graduate Assistant Interns (GAIs)
The areas of Student Experience, Student Success and Enrollment Management award several graduate assistant internships (GAI) each academic year to eligible graduate students. The following link provides information on available positions: Graduate Assistant Internships
* Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
** Requires Word or Word Online