First occupied in 1978, DeBartolo Hall houses the departments of Economics, English, Foreign Languages and Literature, Geography, History, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology and Gerontology. DeBartolo is also home to the Africana, American, Islamic, Women's and Working Class Studies programs.
The building includes five student lounges and study areas, 15 classrooms, 15 laboratories, a computer terminal room, an auditorium and special varied laboratories.
- Computer labs are located in the basement and on the 2nd floor with Dell Optiplex machines and laser printers.
- The Professional Writing Lab in the English department is complete with the full Adobe Suite software.
- A spacious study lounge on the first floor offers ample work space to study with a group or individually.
- Quiet study spaces are located on all floors.
- A modern lecture hall seats 200 and is used for various presentations.
Center of Judaic and Holocaust Studies
The Center of Judaic and Holocaust Studies within CLASS is dedicated to teaching and promoting research on all facets of Jewish culture and history.
The center places a special emphasis on the experience of the Jewish people during the Holocaust and promotes the lessons of tolerance and genocide prevention. It offers academic courses at the introductory and advanced level in Jewish history, religion, culture and languages. The center also offers community outreach educational program.
The Writing Center is located in Maag Library and helps students become more independent, confident and successful writers. Student consultants help current YSU undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff through the center's free basic services:
- Consultations for individuals or small groups.
- Assessment of writing strengths and weaknesses.
- Guidance for essays, lab reports, history papers, résumés and other writing projects in all disciplines.
- Help with documentation in APA, MLA, Chicago and other styles.
- Preparation advice for writing portions of standardized tests, including the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, etc.
- Instruction in linguistics.
- Tutoring for ESL students.
- Sessions for peer reviews.
Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor
Affiliated with the Department of History at YSU, the Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor traces the labor, immigration and urban history of the steel industry that once dominated the region. Available to both YSU students and the public, the museum features many exhibits, education programs and archives.