The Penguin Icebreakers are a student recruitment and ambassador organization for Youngstown State University. Housed at the Office of Admissions in Sweeney Hall, the Penguin Icebreakers conduct campus tours, assist in group visits, contact prospective students and speak to high school students on the advantage of a Youngstown State University education.
Position: Penguin Icebreaker (Student Ambassador)
Office Affiliate: Office of Admissions
- Must be an Undergraduate student
- Must be available for the next full academic year (Fall and Spring)
- Minimum cumulative 2.5 or higher GPA
- Involvement on campus in at least one or more student organizations
- Outgoing personality
- Team player
- Good organization skills
- Strong communication skills a must
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups
- Good phone etiquette
- Positive attitude
- Must be able to lift at least 25lbs.
- Campus leadership is a plus
- Campus tours and customer service- this is the primary duty of this position. This includes not only the tour, but the follow-up postcard to which you are responsible for writing.
- Data entry- when not giving tours, you are expected to enter information into the system as a result of recruitment events where the information is gathered on prospective students.
- Places calls to prospective students (telecounseling)- this duty is typically at night, Monday through Thursday 4:30pm - 8:00pm. These hours are based on availability and willingness as well an assessment of your phone etiquette.
- Mailings- you may assist in preparing mass mailings from the Office of Admissions to prospective students.
- Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for enthusiastic students that have a welcoming personality and charm. Since our students are many times the first encounter prospective students have with a YSU student, that first experience is key in gaining their interest to consider Youngstown State. The ideal student must be outgoing and willing exceed our expectations when the moments calls for it. In addition, the ideal student must be presentable in a positive way as they not only are representing the Office of Admissions, but also the University. Our students are vital to our office functioning as a welcome center.