The first step in applying for Federal Financial Aid for both new and continuing YSU students is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Below is a list of tips and resources to assist with completing the FAFSA:
- Create an FSA ID which will consist of a Username and Password (FSA ID site)
- Have both the student’s and family’s (if applicable) tax information and W2’s available
- Complete the FAFSA
- Answer “Yes” to IRS Data Retrieval
- Unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool? Request an IRS Tax Transcript
- List YSU's school code: 003145
For a more detailed step-by-step guide to completing the financial aid application process, see the How to Apply page for further instruction.
Individual assistance is also available, by appointment, with a financial aid counselor by contacting our appointment line.
Watch the Department of Education's How to Fill Out the FAFSA.
2017-2018 Housing Grant Application AvailablePosted onJanuary 9, 2017Students planning to live in University Housing or the Courtyard Apartments for the 2017-2018 aid year can now apply for the Housing Grant.
FSA ID ExpirationPosted onJanuary 9, 2017A student who has created an FSA ID (username and password) will need to update their passwords every 18 months. Please note that usernames, however, will not expire.Students in need of updating their password should go to FSAID.ed.gov.
Two Major Changes to the 2017–18 FAFSAPosted onDecember 1, 2016
- The FAFSA launched on October 1, three months earlier than in previous years. Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to maximize your financial aid.
- The FAFSA now requires last year’s (2015) tax information. This makes it easier to complete your FAFSA! Since you have already filed your 2015 taxes, you can electronically import your tax information directly into the FAFSA. This is fast, accurate, and reduces the amount of paperwork that may be required by your school.
What happens if I wait to fill out the FAFSA?