Verification is a process that all universities receiving federal aid are required to complete. The purpose of verification is not to find fraudulent FAFSA applicants, but to find and correct common mistakes made during the filing of the FAFSA. All need-based aid packaging must be put on hold until a student provides the necessary information requested through the verification process. If the verification process is not completed, a student will not be considered for any need-based financial aid. It is important to return the information and requested documentation as soon as possible. Processing usually takes about three weeks, but can take longer in peak processing periods.
A typical student selected for verification will be asked to complete a verification worksheet and submit IRS tax transcripts. Depending on the situation, however, other forms and requirements may be requested from the student.
Submitting Tax Information
There are two ways to provide your tax information for the verification process:
1) Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool provided on the FAFSA (recommended)
2) Provide a copy of student and/or parent (if applicable) IRS Tax Return Transcript
Tax return transcripts can be ordered through the link below, or by calling 1-800-908-9946.
Students and/or parents not required to file a 2015 Federal Income Tax Return will be required to submit the following documentation:
- The 2017-2018 Non-Filer Statement
- Copies of form W-2 for each source of employment income received for the tax year 2015
- IRS Verification of Non-Filing (can obtain by use of one of the following):
- Using the IRS’s “Get Transcript Online” at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
- Completing IRS Form 4506-T and checking box 7, and mailing or faxing it to the IRS. This form can be found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
2017 - 2018 Verification Forms
|2017-2018 Dependent Worksheet|
|2017-2018 Independent Worksheet|
|2015 Tax Non-Filer Worksheet|
|Borrower Disability Worksheet|
|2017-2018 Drug Worksheet|
|2017-2018 High School Credential Worksheet|
2016-2017 Verification Forms
|Megan Wade - Assistant Director||330-941-1321; firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colleen George - Admin Asst 1||330-941-2031; email@example.com|