Scope and Content Note
This collection is a combination of materials relating to the Dana School of Music that
were housed in various areas across campus. While the original provenance is unknown,
portions were stored in Media and Academic Computing and Maag Library's Multimedia
Center. Debra Beronja, Access Services Librarian, stored materials she received from
Dr. Alvin Skardon, a retired Y SU history professor and author of Steel Valley University:
The Origin of Youngstown State.
Consequently, the order imposed is artificial. With a date range from 1897 to 1995, items
were grouped according to type and organized within that group for ease of use. Records
include student and alumni records of Dana's Musical Institute, numerous scrapbooks,
photographs, performance programs, and audio and video recordings of performances.
The identification of the reel-to-reel and cassettes tapes was based solely on information
from the original packaging. While the collection is by no means complete, it is an asset
to researchers interested in the history and development of YSU's music department.
- Series I: Student and alumni records
- Series II: Scrapbooks
- Series III: Photographs
- Series IV: Publications
- Series V: Performance programs
- Series VI: Reel-to-reel audio tapes
- Series VII: Audiocassette tapes
- Series VIII: VHS video tapes
- UA 2005.11 John Turk papers.
- UA 2004.41 Youngstown State University. Nellie Dehnbostel Collection, 1925-1985.
- The Dana Concert Series. Youngstown, OH: Youngstown State University, 1972-73—
- Dana Recital Programs: Dana School of Music of Youngstown State University.
Youngstown, OH: Youngstown State University, 1968-69—1970-71.
- History of Youngstown College/Nellie Dehnbostel: Interviewed by William Manser.
Oral History 0002, 1974.
- Dana, William H. Dana's Practical Harmony. Warren, OH: Dana's Musical Institute,
- Dana, William H. Dana's Practical Thorough Base: The Art of Playing Church Music.
Warren, OH: Dana's Musical Institute, c1875.
- Skardon, Alvin W. Steel Valley University: The Origin of Youngstown State.
Youngstown, OH: Youngstown State University, 1983.
- Turk, John R. The Musical Danas of Warren, Ohio: The History of the Dana School of
Music. Youngstown, OH: Dana Press of Youngstown State University, 1999?
- Alumni records
- Audiocassette tapes
- Dana, Junius
- Dana, Lynn B., Jr.
- Dana, Lynn B., Sr.
- Dana, William Henry
- Dana's Musical Institute
- Dana School of Music
- Dehnbostel, Nellie Gwynne
- Performance programs
- Reel-to-reel tapes
- Student transcripts
- Warren, OH
- Youngstown College
- Youngstown, OH
- Youngstown State University
- Youngstown University