1. Complete YSU application & financial aid forms YSU admissions page.
•Percussion auditions will only occur after you are admitted to the University.
•Undergraduates should apply for the Student Housing Grant
3. Review percussion audition guidelines Undergraduate Studies or Graduate Studies Applicants must demonstrate certain proficiency levels in a percussion audition/interview to qualify for music major admission status to the Dana School of Music.
4. Schedule a Percussion Visitation Day with Dr. Schaft before your audition.
•We recommend you visit during the spring semester of your junior year or fall semester your senior year. The visitation itinerary will include a complimentary private lesson with Dr. Schaft, discussion of your career goals and answering your questions, discussion of degree options, and audition preparation, observation of lessons and rehearsals, introduction of our students and faculty, and a tour of our facilities and instruments. Parents are welcome. Be sure to bring mallets and all music you are preparing. A typical itinerary is 10am-3pm. Campus tours are available through the Undergraduate Admissions office and a virtual campus tour is available at www.ysu.edu.
5. Schedule audition - undergraduates should call the Music office at 330.941.3636. If you require a date other than those listed on the Dana School of Music website, contact Dr. Schaft directly. He offers private lessons for audition preparation or can refer you to other teachers if you prefer. Graduate candidates should schedule auditions directly with Dr. Schaft by calling 330.941.3643.
•Theory placement test is administered on the audition day and it is designed to place you in the appropriate theory course.
•Take the piano placement test if you possess prior experience in order to test out of some or all the four required keyboard musicianship classes.
6. Audition results - Dana School of Music sends audition result notification letters by mid-March.
7. Upon acceptance, Dr. Schaft will email you a Letter of Intent which should be completed and returned to him by May 1st, indicating your attendance plans. Be sure he has your current e-mail and telephone number.
8. Scholarship Awards - may include YSU Academic Awards and/or Dana School of Music Scholarships. Dana Music Scholarship notification letters are typically sent in late March - early April under separate cover from YSU academic awards.
9. See our website tab "curriculum" and click advisement & registration before you attend a YSU orientation (SOAR) or register.