Agenda for April 1, 2013
Order of Business
- Call to Order
- Guest Speaker
- Deandre Radcliffe, President, Black Student Union
- Roll Call
- Approval of the Minutes & Agenda
- Executive Business
- President’s Report
- Executive Vice President’s Report
- Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report
- Committee Chairs Report
i. Chair of Student Life Committee
ii. Chair of Academic Affairs Committee
iii. Chair of University Affairs Committee
iv. Chair of Financial Appropriations Committee
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- SB F 2012-4
- Gallery Remarks
- Advisors’ Remarks
- Members’ Remarks
New SGA Info Pamphlets
· With help from the secretaries I have revamped the SGA info pamphlets
· Include info about SGA, the committees, and how to get on SGA
· Now available in SGA office in addition to the financial path pamphlets
· Contacted the Registrar about adding a mandatory “exit-survey” for those graduating when they pay to graduate online which will begin next year
· These could them be used to gather data about things like why a student graduated when they did, if they didn’t graduate as quickly as they wanted to
· Also, they could list organizations they were involved in so Alumni and Events can contact alumni later
· They liked the idea but will only look into it after the conversion to online pay is over
Parking Services, Our Friends
· Asked about signs indicating the pick-up times at each location
· Danny O’Connell said that additional shuttle stop signs have been put at the various pickup locations but not included the pick-up times. He said they will have signs made that include the pick-up times and placed at the primary pick-up locations.
· He said he would notify me when the signs that include times are in place.
Bridges Out of Poverty Training
· Program provided by the Bridges Out of Poverty Student Union
· Training to identify needs with low-income populations
· If enough SGA people are interested we can schedule a 2 hour overview or 5.5 hour workshop in the day or evening. We should discuss in new business
Executive Vice Presidents Report:
Four Year Plan
Dr. Buckler met with the Academic Affairs committee on Monday and provided some feed back on the Four Year Guarantee. Nikki will have more.
Looking to have one on Tuesday April 2 in Kilcawley Center 1st floor. Check your emails for update.
Last Lecture Series
Finalizing a date sometime in late April. Be sure to attend the facebook event page and share it with your friends.
Vice President for Financial Affairs: Will be given orally at meeting
Student Life Minutes 03-25-2013
Elyse called the informal meeting to order at Inner Circle
Caroline took roll
Excused: Sammi Burton
Points of Discussion:
I. SGA Retreat
- Tentatively April 19th 6:00-8:00 PM, likely to change due to Spring Game/Relay for Life conflicts
- Will vote at body meeting next week for new date
- Stadium Club or Ohio Room depending on date
- Carrie Anderson will be speaker
II. SGA voting
- Next Tuesday and Wednesday!
- Need more people to work polls
III. Penguin Productions Spring Event
- Save the Date: Friday April 26th
- Committee members can volunteer at this event for volunteer hours
IV. “Children’s Combine” United Way summer event
- Mark Thornhill spoke to our committee
- Event promoting fight against childhood obesity in Mahoning County
- Children will participate in physical activities similar to sports star trials
- Saturday June 29th, 9:00-2:00 in Watts-Tressel Training Center
- Need SGA volunteers for this event!
Elyse adjourned the meeting after we finished our meals
YSU Student Government Association
Academic Affairs Committee
Minutes of 3.25.2013 Meeting
I. Call to Order: 4:05 pm
II. Roll Call
a. Present: Justen Vrabel, Nicole Pavlichich, Chelsea Baker, Kaitlyn Kridler, Caleb Tatebe, Kendal Malsch, Ashley Bowers, Teresa McKinney, Jordan Edgell, *Cory Okular
b. Absent: Sarah Scheidemantel
c. Excused: Andrew McClusky
III. Dr. Buckler/Four Year Plan
Dr. Buckler is in charge of academic advising for the university. He is currently developing a website that would include all curriculum sheets and is redoing the general advisement website. He said that 60-70% of first year students need to take at least one developmental course and that a four year plan would not work in their circumstances. He is also working on a searchable undergraduate bulletin and an academic advising syllabus. He says that in the next few years, all developmental courses will need to be taken through Eastern Gateway Community College. He thinks we should shy away from a four year plan and instead suggest 5 year plans and get departments to commit to offering courses.
We are currently reworking our proposal to remove any references to financial reparations but our committee still believes that a four year plan would be more beneficial to the students at YSU and we are therefore still pursuing it.
IV. Last Lecture Series
Dr. Tessier accepted her nomination as Last Lecture Series speaker. We will be proposing a few dates to her for mid-April. Our committee is delegating the work to be done. Keep your eye out for a Facebook event.
V. Adjournment: 5:22 pm
SGA University Affairs Minutes 3/25/2013
Sarah Perrine called the meeting to order at 3:53pm.
All members were present.
I. Unfinished business:
A) Visiting Local High Schools
· Wrapping up high schools for the semester
· Need volunteers for Howland and Struthers
· Howland Tuesday April 16th 10:30am-12:30pm
· Mineral Ridge Thursday April 18th 12:45pm
· Struthers Friday May 17th 8:00am-3:00pm (subject to change)
Completed Schools Upcoming Schools Possible Schools
Canfield Struthers Poland
Lakeview Mineral Ridge East
Lowellville Howland Chaney
B) Beatitude House
· Bring Hose hold items in by last week of school
· Competition between committees
· House hold items include: soap, Windex, paper towels, dish soap, paper plates, brown bags, napkins, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
Meeting was adjourned at approximately 4:30pm
Financial Appropriations Report
Absent: Melissa and Mario
Meeting started at 4:12 PM
I. Committee Meeting FAQ’s
a. Have you attended the leadership summit?
b. Have you raised money towards this event? If so, how much?
c. Does your event involve fundraising? If so, how much goes towards the charity?
d. How many times have you done this event in the past?
e. What is the purpose of your event?
II. Record of Events
a. We would like to keep record of the events we give money to.
b. This will help show what we have done.
c. We would ask the organizations to give us a pamphlet, program, or award after their event.
d. Then we would collect them throughout the year and then put them in a binder.
III. More recommendations for next year
a. We want to start strongly encouraging the student organizations to advertise that SGA contributed to their event
b. We also want to make it a requirement that organizations have to attend our committee meeting four weeks before their event.
c. Next year we want to start having an email meeting or a closed Face book group for the financial affairs committee because sometimes organizations need funding but we are unable to meet due to holidays.
Meeting ended at 4:57 PM